Distance Covered: 4.5 miles Time to complete walk: 2 hours
Suitable for dog walking: Yes
Total Steps: approx. 9,000
Safety Tips: The path can get muddy on the river bank- take a walking stick. Cross the roads carefully throughout the walk
A simple to follow walk ideal for a nice Autumn/Winters day. Walk on the river bank to the village of Aldborough and back to Boroughbridge. Pass the mysterious stone pillars known as the Devils Arrows which date back to pre-historic times. With road names like Druids Meadow in Boroughbridge, this walk has a very present mystical feel about it.
The Boroughbridge walk
Getting There
Follow the A19 from Middlesbrough southbound to join the A168 outside Thirsk.
Follow the A168 to meet the A1. Stay on the A168 which runs parallel to the A1. Turn left at a roundabout signposted to Boroughbridge and when entering the town look out for the signs to the car park which is in Back Lane. There is a honesty box for the parking fee.
Map of the Boroughbridge walk
The Walk
From the car park go right onto Hall Square and turn left to pass a statue.
Statue in Hall Square
Turn left again into St James Square and pass a fountain and well.
Pass the fountain
Head onto Aldborough Road by keeping left at a fork in the road.

Head onto Aldborough Road
Keep ahead looking out for signpost on your left signed as a Public Footpath.
Head down the path to your left going through a small gate.
Sign to Public Footpath
Go through the gate
Keep on the path ahead
Head down to the River Ure and turn right to follow the path on the riverbank.
River Ure
Keep to the path on the riverbank
The path continues for some time until it bends sharply to the right and further on you reach a gate and a path and the river departs in a different direction.
Keep to the path as it bends to the right
Go through the gate ahead and then follow the path onto a wider road.
Go through the gate
Join the wider track
Follow the track ahead which soon joins a road. Turn right and follow the roadside path into the village of Aldborough.
Follow the track ahead
Turn right and follow the roadside path
Soon you come to a fork in the road. Follow the left hand road and keep on the path ahead.
In the village keep to the left pavement and head towards The Black Bull pub.
Immediately to the left of the pub, head onto the road St Helena. Keep to the left and cross a zebra crossing.
The outer stones are 360 and 200 feet (110 and 60 m) away from the central stone and form an alignment that is almost straight, running NNW-SSE. It is thought that they may have been arranged to align with the southernmost summer moonrise. The stones are part of a wider Neolithic complex on the Ure-Swale plateau which incorporates the Thornborough Henges.
The name is mentioned by John Aubrey who visited and drew the stones in 1687. There is a legend, which goes back to 1721, that says the Devil threw the stones, aiming at the next town of Aldborough. He stood on Howe Hill and shouted, "Borobrigg keep out o' way, for Aldborough town I will ding down!". However, the stones fell short and landed near Boroughbridge instead.
Head to the left fork in the road
Keep on the path ahead
The village green is quite interesting as there are some stocks and a tall maypole. After visiting these, keep on the road ahead and keep on it as it turns right.
Stocks on the village green
Maypole on the village green
Follow the path as it turns right
Keep to the pavement
Turn right at the T Junction
Follow the road back down passing the village green
There is a pretty church straight ahead at the bottom of the road to visit. Otherwise, turn left and follow the road out of Aldborough.
Detour to a church
Follow the road to the left out of Aldborough.
The road continues back into Boroughbridge.
Follow the path ahead
In the village keep to the left pavement and head towards The Black Bull pub.
Keep on the pavement on the left
Head to the Black Bull
Immediately to the left of the pub, head onto the road St Helena. Keep to the left and cross a zebra crossing.
Head down St Helena
Cross the zebra crossing
Turn left and then straight onto Roecliffe Lane.
Turn right onto Roecliffe Lane
Head down the lane
Follow this lane to the end of the houses to a road titled Boroughbridge Marina to your right.
Road signed to Boroughbridge Marina
Instead of turning right- at this moment cross the road and the first of the Devils Arrows will appear next to a sign on the left.
A Devils Arrow
Thought to have been erected in 2000 bc these stone monoliths are fascinating and a bit spooky.
When you have finished head back down the road signposted as the Boroughbridge Marina.
Notice the two other Devils Arrows to your left in a field.
Devils Arrows
Head to the right into a fence walkway which ends up on the road called Druids Meadow.
Turn right at the fence
Head onto Druids Meadow
Turn left and follow the road as it loops onto Chatsworth Close.
Turn left onto Druids Meadow
Follow the road as it bends to the right
Head onto Chatsworth Grove
Head straight ahead and then left onto the main road into Boroughbridge.
Keep ahead to the road
Turn left onto the main road
Follow the signs for the parking which is a right turn and another right turn to the car park.
Devils Arrows, Boroughbridge
The Devil's Arrows are three standing stones or menhirs in an alignment approximately 660 feet (200 m) to the east of the A1(M), adjacent to Roecliffe Lane, Boroughbridge in North Yorkshire, England, near to where the A1 road now crosses the River Ure (grid reference SE390666)
Erected in prehistoric times and distinctively grooved by millennia of rainfall, the tallest stone is 22.5 feet (6.85 m) in height, making this the tallest menhir in the United Kingdom after the 25 feet (7.6 m) tall Rudston Monolith. The other two stones are 22 feet (6.7 m) and 18 feet (5.5 m) tall respectively and it is thought that the alignment originally included up to five stones. William Camden mentions four stones in his Britannia, noting that "one was lately pulled downe by some that hoped, though in vaine, to finde treasure." One was apparently displaced during a failed 'treasure hunt' during the 18th century and later used as the base for a nearby bridge over a river. The stones are composed of millstone grit, the most likely source of which is Plumpton Rocks two miles south of Knaresborough and about nine miles from where the stones stand today.The outer stones are 360 and 200 feet (110 and 60 m) away from the central stone and form an alignment that is almost straight, running NNW-SSE. It is thought that they may have been arranged to align with the southernmost summer moonrise. The stones are part of a wider Neolithic complex on the Ure-Swale plateau which incorporates the Thornborough Henges.
The name is mentioned by John Aubrey who visited and drew the stones in 1687. There is a legend, which goes back to 1721, that says the Devil threw the stones, aiming at the next town of Aldborough. He stood on Howe Hill and shouted, "Borobrigg keep out o' way, for Aldborough town I will ding down!". However, the stones fell short and landed near Boroughbridge instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment